In 1979 the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta was declared as a biosphere reserve by the UNESCO. It is the highest coastal mountain range in the world. From the highest point, the Pico Bolivar with 5.775 m, to the sea it is just 42 km linear distance. The Sierra Nevada contains all occurring climates in the world. This includes the tropical cloud forest, humid and less humid foothill forests, humid mountain forest, rain tundra and eternal snow. The Sierra is homeland for various indian groups, like the Arhuacos and Kogis.
One of the most outstanding archaeological sites of the continent, the „Ciudad Perdida““ (lost city), within dense jungle, can be found here. The city was populated by the Tayronas between the 7th and 16th century and was probably the capital of their empire. It was forgotten for a long time and rediscovered in 1975. But not only the place itself, with its terraces, bridges and irrigation canals is special, but also the 5-day hike through a variety of climates is unforgettable.
- Transfer from/to Santa Marta
- English speaking guide
- Overnight stays in hammocks or on Isomats in local farms, in Taganga in a hotel (doble room)
- Full board on the trekking, in Taganga with breakfast
- Porter service
- Entry permissions and fees.
- Mosquito nets
- International airport tax on departure (currently 31 USD, usually included in the international ticket)
- Flight Bogotá – Santa Marta/ Santa Marta-Bogotá
- Personal expenses and tips.
- Services not mentioned in the program
Participants should be in a very good condition. Please also note you only have to carry your personal belongings. Everything else, like sleeping bag, hammock, Isomat, etc. will be carried by porters.
- Program can be changed in case of a security risk.
- Realization with only one person (english speaking guide with surcharge)
- Vaccine information: Yellow fever; Hepatitis A recommended
- Best tiime to visit: all year
Flight from Bogotá to Santa Marta and transfer to the fishermen village Taganga with overnight-stay.
Transfer to the starting point of the trekking and hiking to Mamey, where we sleep in hammocks. On the way rest at the natural river basin of Buritaca.
Hiking through rivers and over huge stones to the village Mutanyi, below the Ciudad Perdida. After arrival, sightseeing tour in the village and overnight-stay at the farm of a Kogi shaman (Mamo). In the evening the shaman will inform us about the Ciudad Perdida and the indigenous culture.
Climb of the 1280 steps up to the Ciudad Perdida. Whole-day sighting, in the afternoon return trip to the finca of the Mamo.
5 hour hiking, along the river Buritaca to Mamey.
Hiking to the end point of the trekking and transfer to the hotel in Taganga.
Transfer to Santa Marta and return flight to Bogotá.